When it comes to appeal, math really should be up there with the new iPad, what is trending in young literature and who is winning the Super Bowl. Not convinced? Good. Great mathematicians always were the skeptics, so you are on the right path!
Welcome to Ms. O’Brien’s Fifth Grade Math Class
where kids rediscover the fun behind the numbers,
the excitement behind the problem,
the curiosity in the patterns,
and see math beyond the classroom.
Mathematics is a creative art, so get ready to have some fun and bring the COLOR back to math’s black and white.
Aligned with the Common Core Performance Standards, students will become confident and competent mathematical problem-solvers and will be able to do the following:
• Apply the four operations to decimals to hundredths
• Extend division to two-digit divisors
• Develop fluency with addition and subtraction of fractions
• Apply multiplication and division understanding to fractions
• Understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication/addition
• Convert like measurements within a given measurement system
• Graph points on a coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems